Roti or chapati makers are one of the top innovative electric devices of this century. There was a time not so long ago when people literally had to perform various processes to make a roti at home. Every process involved was complicated and time-consuming. However, with the introduction of roti makes on the market, it proved to be one of the most helping and time-saving devices.
To my point of view, I used to feel bad about my mother’s situation where she had to spend an hour for making a chapatti/roti at home with the traditional method. But, today, she has a roti maker and I feel so happy for her, she is so relieved and free. The only complicated thing she has to do is mixing the roti dough.
With all this being told, you should know that the roti’s made on roti makers are a bit different from the traditional gas stove cooked roti’s. I will explain the differences and the exact way to cook rotis on a roti maker.
Here are some of the things you should know.
- While preparing the dough for making roti on a roti maker, the dough should be prepared in such a way that it should be softer and sticker than usual.
- One of the greatest advantages of traditional method roti making was that we could make good roti with the dough once refrigerated or 1 or 2 days old dough, but, when it comes to roti maker the dough should be fresh, roti makers don’t produce good roti’s if the dough isn’t fresh.
- Traditional roti making process requires the dough to rest for just 5 or 10 minutes and you can produce soft and tasty roti’s. But, when it comes to a roti maker, the dough should at least rest for 20 minutes or more. If you try cooking a roti on a roti maker with dough that rested just for 10 or 15 minutes, the roti produced will be hard and tasteless.
- Roti maker doesn’t produce good roti if you add oil to the dough. If you need oil or ghee on your roti, apply oil/ghee on your hands before making the dough balls, this can make the roti soft and also the dough won’t stick to your hands.
- This point could be the biggest disadvantage of roti maker, roti’s produced on a roti maker if kept for more than half an hour will harden, this makes roti maker produced roti not fit to be packed in a lunch box. Here, “Not fit” refers to the fact that roti’s produced on a roti maker hardens quickly and it can really annoy you.
Now, you have a basic idea about roti makers and the roti produced by roti makers.
Today, there are more than 10 or 20 dozens of roti make models available on the Indian market that comes from different manufacturers/brands. Here are some of the best roti makers on the Indian market right now.
Bestselling Roti Maker in India
1. BAJAJ VACCO 900W “Go-Ezzee” Non-Stick Chapati Maker C-02 (Silver)
The BAJAJ VACCO 900W “Go-Ezzee” Non-Stick Chapati Maker C-02 from the brand Bajaj Vacco is one of the best roti makers available on the Indian market right now. This brand came into existence 60 years ago and their products are of high-quality. The product is made of a high-quality tubular element and the top and bottom plates are Teflon coated. The whole device is made of stainless steel that ensures that the device does not rust or stain under any circumstances. The handles on this device are made of heat-resistant material and the whole device is shockproof. This product also comes with a thermostat that cuts of the supply when the top and bottom plates acquire the required temperature.
2. Jaipan JDRM-901 1000-Watt Jumbo Roti Maker (Black)
The Jaipan JDRM-901 1000-Watt Jumbo roti maker comes with a high-quality handle to press the plates and a knob to open the top plate. The whole product is made of stainless steel material and the manufacturer has placed red neon lights for power on indicator. The device comes with a non-stick Teflon coating that comes from the brand Welburger Germany. The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on this product and consumes 1000 watts power.
3. Sunflame RM1 900-Watt Roti Maker (Silver/Black)
This device comes with several features like oil-free cooking, uniform heating. The coating on the top and bottom of this device is coated with a food grade material. This device consumes 900 watts power and the manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty on this product.
4. Eagle Best Eagle Roti Maker
The eagle Best Eagle Roti Maker, this device is fully automatic and comes with top and bottom heating elements and also an inbuilt thermostat. The device also has high-quality handles and knobs for opening and closing the top plate. The device consumes 900 watts power and comes with on/off indicators.
5. Eagle Original Non-Stick PTFE Coating Electric Chapati Maker
The Eagle Original Non-Stick PTFE Coating Electric Chapati Maker comes made of high-quality material and consumes comparatively less power than other models. One of the notable features of this device is that it comes in a jumbo size and makes it easier to produce rolling chapattis.
6. Eveready RM1001 900-Watt Roti Maker (Black)
This device consumes 900 watts and comes with a dual heating element. The top and bottom plates of this roti maker are non-stick and the overall design of the product is elegant and attractive. The indicator lights to indicate on/off is plates are placed in a suitable position and it is easy to view. The whole device is made of stainless steel and the handles are extra-large for enhances comfort.
7. Athena Libra Roti Maker
This product is highly energy efficient and has proved worthy to produce soft and puffy roti within seconds. The top and bottom plates are Teflon coating for the non-stick feature and the light indicator incorporated ensures the device serves its purpose well.
Roti Maker Buying Guide – What to Look For it?
If you are planning to purchase a roti maker, here are some of the key factors that you should consider.
- Power consumption
- Heating elements
- Internal coating for wires
Power consumption – This is the most important factor that you should consider while purchasing a roti maker in India. As you know, roti makers work on electricity, the device consumes electricity to heat the surface and therefore, cook the dough to roti. Different models roti makers consume a different quantity of electricity and the lower the quantity it consumes, lesser the electricity bill will be. So, always purchase a roti maker with the least power consumption.
Heating elements –To understand this factor, you should know the working of the roti maker, every roti makers have two plates the top and the bottom plates. These two plates are the most important part of the roti maker. When the device is plugged into the supply and then the device is switched on the plate’s heat up, and when the dough is kept on the plate and pressed the top and bottom plate together heats and this, in turn, cooks the dough to roti. So, while purchasing a roti maker, check if the roti maker has an apt top and bottom plate heating elements.
Thermostat –Most of us know what a thermostat is and its function, but, a thermostat in a roti maker is very important, it cuts off the heating process when the top and bottom plates acquire the suitable temperature required for cooking the dough. So, while purchasing a roti maker, purchase a device with the best thermostat or the best cutting of technology.
Coating –When it comes to roti maker, the coating is very important. A coating on a roti maker is the only thing that prevents the dough from sticking on the top and bottom plates. Most of the roti makers on the market today come with a coating. But, it is very important that you purchase a device with quality top and bottom coating.
Internal coating for wires – yes, wire are coated in every circumstances, but roti maker wires should be extra coated so that the wires when heat during load does not melt and short circuit causing an accident.
Warranty –roti makers as we know are electronic devices that consume electricity to function. But, no one can guarantee that an electronic device won’t malfunction under any circumstances. So, it is very important to purchase a device with the maximum warranty period.
A roti maker is one of the best things of this century. If you care about your parents and if you feel bad for your other who spend hours cooking roti’s, this is the best gift you can give her. All the products listed above are the best roti makers available on the Indian market right now.